In March 2023 we are reformed 70% of our trees to the polyconic vase.
Some trees are centuries old, and it took us some bravery to remove centuries old branches.
Why did we do it?
To maintain the productivity and health of these trees, it is crucial to prune them regularly. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of pruning olive trees in South Italy using the polyconic vase method.
The polyconic vase method is a pruning technique that involves shaping olive trees into a vase shape with a wide opening at the top. This method is particularly popular in South Italy due to its effectiveness in optimizing olive tree productivity and health.
The Benefits of Pruning Olive Trees
Pruning olive trees with the polyconic vase method offers several benefits, including:
- Increased Fruit Yield: One of the primary benefits of pruning olive trees is that it increases the fruit yield. By removing the old wood and encouraging the growth of new branches, the tree can produce more olives. The polyconic vase method, in particular, allows for better sunlight penetration, which promotes fruit production.
- Improved Tree Health: Pruning also helps to improve the overall health of the olive tree. Removing diseased or dead wood can prevent the spread of disease and insects, ensuring that the tree remains healthy and productive.
- Better Quality Olives: The polyconic vase method promotes the growth of new branches, which are more productive and have a higher quality of fruit. This means that the olives produced are larger, more flavorful, and have a higher oil content.
- Easy Harvesting: Pruning with the polyconic vase method makes harvesting easier since the tree is shaped like a vase. This allows for easy access to the olives, making the harvesting process faster and more efficient.
- Longer Tree Lifespan: Regular pruning of olive trees promotes the growth of new branches, which helps to extend the lifespan of the tree. This means that the tree will continue to produce olives for many years to come.
In conclusion, pruning olive trees with the polyconic vase method is an effective way to optimize the productivity and health of olive trees in South Italy. It offers several benefits, including increased fruit yield, improved tree health, better quality olives, easy harvesting, and a longer tree lifespan. By adopting this technique, farmers can ensure that their olive trees continue to produce high-quality olives for generations to come.
We conpleted the job as usual with environmental friendly tools and in safe conditions, which require to perform the job from the ground (i.e. no climbing, no ladders, etc).
For this we used the following tools:
- For larger cuts: Stihl HTA 135 battery powered pruner, the best choise for professional use. We were really happy with it.
- For smaller cuts, up to 50mm: Blackstone 500-BP electric shears with telescopic extension. We loved this product
We hope the production 2024 will see the benefits of this reform.